The most generic software in today’s accounting world is QuickBooks designed and developed by Intuit. There are numerous amount of accounting service providers available in market but we always look for the one which is compatible, reliable, last but not the least affordable and manageable. QuickBooks Desktop is a one-time purchase accounting software to be installed on your office desktop computer.
In QuickBooks Desktop you can also assign barcodes to each individual item to make data entry quicker and easy to access. QuickBooks Desktop also features in scanning barcodes to adjust the quantity of items. Foremost step is to check whether your scanner is compatible with QuickBooks or not. For that your scanner should support EAN-13, Code 128 barcodes, and scanner also produces a single carriage return at the end of barcode.
How to set up your USB barcode Scanner
When your scanner is plugged in you can follow below mentioned steps:
- In QuickBooks Desktop, click on Edit menu and choose Preferences.
- Click on Items and Inventory, and then choose the Company Preferences
- Choose Advanced Inventory Settings, and then click on the Barcodes
- Click on Enable Barcode, and then choose Open Barcode Wizard.
- In Barcode Scanning Setup wizard, click particular item field you want to use for barcode tracking.
- If at all you are not sure about what to use, select a field which will be exclusive for each item, such as the Item Name or Part Number.
- Then click on Next.
- Choose the items you want barcodes to be generated for.
- Click on Next, and then select Finish.
How to Start Using your Scanner
- Open any transactions in QuickBooks Desktop
- Now, scan the particular item with your scanner connected to your PC.
- You can scan barcodes to fill out any transactions for estimates, sales order, invoices, sales receipts, purchase order and many more
Method to import Barcodes
Method 1: Creation of a custom field
- Being in single user mode you can import in QuickBooks Desktop.
- Click on File >> click on Switch to Single User Mode
- Click on Lists >> Choose Item List >> Now, click on item >> Select Custom Fields.
- Click on Define Fields >> In new label line Enter your Label name(“Barcode”)
- In Label field >> Click on Use >> Then Choose Ok
Method 2: How to Export your Item List to Excel
- Click on Lists >> Choose Excel menu
- Click on Export all items
- Choose Create New Worksheets >> in workbook Click on Export
Method 3: Next step is to edit the Excel sheet
- Enter the barcode you want to access for each item
- Click on Save File and Then Choose Close
Method 4: Import the list with barcodes from Excel sheet
- In QuickBooks, select File menu and click on Utilities.
- Choose Import Excel Files. Click on No at the dialog box for Add or Edit Multiple List Entries.
- Select Advanced Import.
- Move to the Excel file you saved
- Click on Sheet where you will be able to see your data.
- In choose a mapping menu, click on Add new.
- All mappings window will open on your PC.
- In Import type menu, click on Item.
- Now, in QuickBooks column, search for the Type line. On the specified line in Import Data column, choose Type to make sure that they match.
- Scroll down one line to the Name field. In Import Data column, click on Item.
- Move down to find Barcode line. Specify its Import Data field to Barcode as well.
- You can now leave the remaining fields empty.
- Select the option to replace existing data with import data, ignoring blank fields.
Method 5: Set QuickBooks to track your imported barcodes
- Click on edit and Choose preferences
- Click on Items and Inventory
- On Company preferences option, select Advanced Inventory Settings
- On Barcode option, click on Barcode Wizard
- Select Copy Barcode from Custom Field
- Click on Finish
- Click on Ok.
We really hope that this post managed to create, edit and delete budget reports on your own for advanced functioning. Our technical team will make sure to find out more such related articles you come across. If you still face any kind of issue related to this error feel free to contact QuickBooks Customer Care Support @ 1-800-731-1629 as our support team is available 24X7 or you can directly mail us at email@example.com.