Today we will learn how to resolve the following errors displayed in the QBWin.log during the failure of data utility with the help of QuickBooks Support Number.
- FIRST ERROR: LVL_SEVERE_ERROR–GetDecryptedCreditCardNumber Failed: The decryption has failed. CHECKPOINT: Failed to decrypt customer’s credit card number. Customer ID: nnnn
- SECOND ERROR: LVL_ERROR–Unable to decrypt social security number/Social Security number
These errors are due to damage in the encryption of sensitive fields such as credit card numbers, social security or Social Security, and bank accounts.
|Note: You need to update QuickBooks Desktop to the latest release and make a backup or portable company file, Before you being troubleshooting.|
Solution 1: You need to check the QuickBooks Admin user for damage
- Click & log in to your company file as the Admin.
- You may need to change the admin password.
- If QuickBooks will re-encrypt the data in your file. Note that this may take several minutes.
Important: In case, if QuickBooks crashes while encrypting, contact us. We may need to send your file to Data Services to remove all sensitive information from the file.
- You need to sign out from your company file. Go to File, then select Close Company or Logoff, then close QuickBooks.
- You can reopen QuickBooks and sign in as the admin to complete the re-encryption process.
Check if the re-encryption is successful
- You may run the Verify Data utility.
- You need to check the most recent entry in the log file.
- In case, if you see any of the following errors, contact us to send your file to the Data Services for repair. If not, proceed to Solution 2.
- FIRST ERROR: LVL_SEVERE_ERROR–GetMasterKey Failed: The decryption has failed.
- SECOND ERROR: LVL_SEVERE_ERROR–GetDataAccessKey Failed: The decryption has failed.
Important: You are allowed to only send your file to Data Services if the admin user gets the Master key error. If the error applies to non-admin users, you need to delete and recreate the users affected.
Solution 2: You may repair damaged encrypted fields
We will Use the following steps to fix missing or damaged encrypted fields. While these steps are specific to credit card numbers, you can use similar procedures for repairing Vendor Tax IDs or Employee SSNs.
Step 1: You may run the Verify Data utility
In order to check for any possible data damage using the Verify Data utility.
Step 2: Look for the error message in QBWin.log
You should check the error message in the QBWin.log to see what is affected.
- You will find the QBWin.log and save it to any location you can easily access like your Desktop.
- Click on the right of the QBWin.log file. Select Open with, then choose Notepad.
- Now, you should note the Customer names and IDs that appears in the QBWin.log.
Step 3: Edit the credit card number of affected customers
If you are editing the credit card number then it might can remove the damaged data. If a lot of customers are affected, you can check use advanced import to override damaged credit card info. This way you can do it efficiently.
- Select Customers menu. From the Customers menu, select Customer Center.
- Click & select the small arrow ▼icon above the search bar, then choose All Customers.
- You can find the name of the Customers or Jobs you took note of.
In case, if the name of the Customer or Job isn’t on the list
- Now, Double-click the Customer or Job to edit, then go to the Payment Settings tab.
- You need to enter a 16-digit dummy credit card number and expiration date, then select & press Ok.
- Click & go to the Payments Settings tab again.
- You need to enter the correct credit card number and expiration date, then select Ok.
|Note: You may repeat this step for all the Customer or Job you took note of in the QBWin.log file.|
Step 4: Verify if data no longer has errors
You may run the verification of data utility again. It will help you to know that the issue is fixed.
- If there are no problems detected, the problem is fixed.
- In case, if the Verification fails, check the QBwin.log for other errors that caused the verification to fail. If you still see Customers showing, then repeat Step 3.
Note: In case, if you encounter “Verify Error: QuickBooks found a problem with the Acct #/Card #/Note field for other asset”, you need to check for a damaged Admin user or manually edit the information. Still, if you are facing any issue then you can directly contact to our QuickBooks Customer Support Team.