QuickBooks error code 6189 is a run-time error. This problem can occur if you try to run QuickBooks Desktop or open a company file (.QBW) on a multi-user network. Despite the fact that the error notice gives little information, users may find it difficult to understand the underlying reason and possible solutions.
When you try to access the business files, you may get the QuickBooks error 6189 with the message “QuickBooks cannot open the company file.”
In this article, we’ll learn more about QuickBooks Error 6189, including its causes and how to fix it.
The most common causes of QuickBooks Error Code 6189 are shown below.
When QuickBooks tries to view the company file, one of these errors usually shows. It could possibly arise as a result of a multi-user network, not because of your accounting information.
- Restricted users acquire the approval or authorization to assign in QuickBooks DataServiceXX or Windows.
- The QuickBooks version does not correspond to the company file. It happens when an older version of QuickBooks tries to access a tab in a later version. In this situation, you’ll need to update your company files to the latest QuickBooks version.
- The issue occurs when the log file for a company transaction is more outdated than the company file you are attempting to enter.
- QuickBooks files are missing data or are corrupted.
- If the data in the QuickBooks Company file and the transaction log file is corrupted, destroyed, or lost, or if the Windows discs required executing QuickBooks are missing or damaged.
- If the user logged in to QuickBooks in single-user mode, this issue can also occur.
- This problem could potentially be caused by an incomplete QuickBooks installation.
So, here are a few steps to fix your QuickBooks Desktop multi-user network problem and get it running again.
There are several options for resolving QuickBooks Error Code 6189.
1st step: Run QuickBooks Refresher after downloading it.
- Firstly, on the infected system that is causing the problem, download and run the QuickBooks Refreshers. It would disable all background apps that could be the source of the issue. It also refreshes the entire operation.
- To begin, download the QuickBooks refresher and then install all of the files. Thereafter, save those files somewhere you can easily access them.
- Make sure QuickBooks isn’t being used for anything else.
- After that, make a list of all QuickBooks versions on your computer and close them.
- Then, to execute the program, double-click on the file QBRefresher.exe.
- The Quick Books Refresher takes 30 seconds to complete, and all you have to do is follow the on-screen instructions.
- Return to QuickBooks Desktop after the installation is complete.
If you’re still having trouble with the problem, proceed to the next step to resolve it.
You may be required to reset the complete system on occasion, in which case follows these instructions:
Step 2: Restart all of your computers and servers.
- To begin, reboot the server system (the server hosting, the company file).
- Thereafter, each workstation should be restarted (to which the other systems are linked to via a network which does not host the company file).
- After that, launch QuickBooks on your server system as well as any additional workstations linked to the server system via your network.
If you are able to launch QuickBooks, that is excellent; but, if the error persists, proceed to the following step.
Step 3: On your PC, install the QuickBooks database server Manager.
- The QuickBooks Database Server Manager aids in the stability of a multi-user network when you host it yourself.
- Troubleshoot the QuickBooks Error
- On your server system, first download and install the QuickBooks Database Server Manager (the one that hosts your company files). The QuickBooks Database Server Manager does not require permits.
- After when the installation is complete, the Windows Start Menu appears.
- Afterwards, for QuickBooks Database, open Server Manager.
- Please make sure you have the latest version of the QuickBooks Database Manager.
- Once the update is complete, restart the system.
- Finally, open QuickBooks on both the server and the workstation.
Windows Drive Has Been Corrupted
- If the error persists, you may end up with a damaged Windows drive that you’re using QuickBooks. You can download or install a new windows drive upgrade application to upgrade or operate the Windows drive.
- If you are having trouble, you might seek aid from any expert or professional.
Step 4: Copy the company files to your hard disc at home.
If the QuickBooks issue -6189 persists and the company file is still saved on a portable device or online, the following steps should be taken. Then follow the steps to move the corporate file to a local drive.
You may easily move your company file from one device to another. As a result, it is available whenever a system fault occurs or you simply wish to upgrade the device.
If the methods stated above aren’t working for you, you can try these alternatives.
Solution 1: Make a backup of your file and restore it.
- Create a copy of the file on the previous system beforehand.
- Afterwards, in the new system, copy all backup files:
- Hold a company file backup on a flash drive or other external device.
- If the systems are connected, it can even be done over the network.
- Transfer the backup files to the new system.
Out of a restored backup, obtain the incomplete forms and templates.
Data from add-ons, such as the QuickBooks Loan Manager, may be removed from backup depending on the current situation. Custom templates and unfinished forms can be restored independently from a restored backup.
- Look at your Restored Company Name file to see where you saved it.
- Afterwards, copy the desired file and paste it in the appropriate location.
There are also other files under the Restored Company Name Files that you will have to manually copy.
Solution 2: Import the entire data folder into QuickBooks.
Even if you don’t make a backup, you can transfer your file. Moving to the entire folder would not modify the records, but it would prevent you from manually transferring individual files.
Determine the location of the file.
- When you have a file open, you should: F2 (or Ctrl+1) is the shortcut key. Recognize the location of the File Information section.
- When the file is finished, it should look like this: QuickBooks Desktop should now be open. The path to the file will be given to you in the No Company Open window.
- Make your way to the tab.
- Afterwards, right-click on the folder and select Copy from the menu.
- After that, copy the folder to an external device such a flash drive, hard drive, or thumb drive.
- Connect the PC to the new system and copy the files to the local hard drive.
- After you’ve launched QuickBooks Desktop, open your file.
Solution 3: execute the restoration using Intuit data protection.
- On the old system, makes a copy of the company file.
- Afterwards, sign in to IDP using the most recent system.
- Then, with the help of IDP, recover all of the backup files.
- A few files are passed down and restored:
Within the QuickBooks data folder, there are the following files:
- Logos and images files
- Files containing transaction logs (.tlg)
- Files containing network data (.nd)
- The files displaying Cash Flow Projection (.cfp)
- Loan Manager’s documents (.lmr)
- Business Planners (.bpw) files (QuickBooks Desktop Premier and Enterprise only)
Files with several locations:
- Letters & Templates for QuickBooks
- Asset Manager Printer option is files that QuickBooks Statement Writer can copy Spell Checker corrected (Enterprise and Premier Accountant only)
QuickBooks error 6189 is a run-time error that occurs when a user attempts to access a corporate file on a multi-user network. We discussed how to correct the error in the preceding article. If you are having trouble understanding it, you can contact the executives. Our certified specialists are available to assist you via phone, chat, and email 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Please feel free to contact us via email if you have any additional questions. If you have any additional issues, you can call our QuickBooks Support Phone Number. However, you can contact us at email@example.com. Please go to www.quickbooksupport.net for further information.