Without a question, QuickBooks is an excellent piece of software, but it is prone to many flaws. The QuickBooks error code 15240 is one such problem that is frequently reported by users. Users may find this error to be quite inconvenient.
It is essentially an update issue that might occur when updating the QuickBooks desktop or payroll software. This issue can also occur when internet explorer settings, time and date settings, and so on are incorrectly configured.
This error code is always followed by one of the following error messages:
“HRESULT XXXXX the QuickBooks update did not complete successfully.”
“HRESULT XXXXX the payroll update did not complete successfully.”
Kindly note that you may also experience any of the problems listed below while upgrading QuickBooks Desktop or downloading a payroll update.
“File exists: The file you requested cannot be opened.” Check to be sure that it isn’t being used by another program.”
“Internet connection error: unknown error”,
Causes of QuickBooks error code 15240
As previously stated, several factors might cause this error. Let us have a look at some of the most prevalent causes of the error:
- You are not using the most recent QuickBooks version.
- You have logged in as a windows admin or you are not running the program as an admin.
- If the specified download link is incorrect or invalid, but the download is still active.
- You are using QuickBooks multi-user mode in a terminal service setup.
- You may also encounter this error if your windows are damaged or your registry files are corrupted.
- There might be a corrupted QuickBooks update.
Signs and Symptoms of QuickBooks error 15240
To recognize the QuickBooks error number 15240, look for the following indications and symptoms:
- The first indicator is if QuickBooks is unable to install the most recent version.
- Your payroll update was unsuccessful.
- If you are unable to perform payroll in QuickBooks.
Consequences of QuickBooks update error code 15240
QuickBooks payroll offers clients payroll updates, as well as current and precise rates and computations. As a result, if you are unable to transmit the most current payroll update, the remuneration of the worker generated by the program may be incorrect.
Solutions to Fix the QuickBooks payroll update error 15240
There are few ways you may try to resolve QuickBooks error number 15240.
Let’s have a look at each approach:
Solution 1: Run QuickBooks with administrative privileges
Many times, you may need to enter QuickBooks using admin credentials, and if you have not logged in as admin, you will most likely get the problem. You must complete the following steps:
- The first step is to go to the QuickBooks icon on the desktop and right-click it.
- After that, select the “Run as Administrator” option.
- Then, open the properties and double-check the compatibility for all users.
Solution 2: Checking the Internet Explorer settings
If running QuickBooks as administrator does not work, check the internet explorer settings. The steps involved in this procedure are as follows:
- To begin, go to the tools menu and select Internet options.
- After that, you must go to the “Advanced” tab.
- Then, under the security tab, check the boxes for “Use SSL 2.0” and “Use SSL 3.0”
- The final step in this procedure is to click the Apply button and then the OK button.
Solution 3: Examining the third-party firewall
To address this issue, you should also look into the third-party firewall settings, since the firewall may interfere with the software’s smooth communication with other files. The steps involved in this procedure are:
- Consult the third-party firewall’s developer for information on how to change the settings and allow QuickBooks to download and install updates.
- Also, check that the following files have permission to get across the firewall:
- Also, make sure that ports 80 and 443 are not disabled.
Solutions 4: Examining the dates and time settings on the system
- Navigate to your system’s control panel.
- Select the Change Date and Time Settings option.
- Correctly change the date and time
- Press the Apply button and then click OK
Solution 5: Using the Clean Install tool to reinstall the program
This process might assist you in getting rid of all the trash that has gathered over time because of constant use. To avoid data loss, you must ensure that you have a comprehensive backup of the company file. The following are the steps required in performing a clean install of QuickBooks desktop:
- First, remove the QuickBooks desktop from the system.
- Renaming the installation directories by downloading and executing the QuickBooks clean install tool.
- The QuickBooks program should then be reinstalled.
Solution 6: Verify that the security software settings are tuned correctly
Security and anti-malware software can frequently interfere with QuickBooks’s operation, resulting in such an error. You must verify that the software’s settings are configured correctly and that the QuickBooks procedure runs smoothly.
Solutions 7: Adding Windows permissions to QuickBooks folders
- Close QuickBooks first.
- Then go to C:\Program Files (x86)
- Then, right-click on the intuit folder and select the properties option.
- Now, go to the security tab and click on the “Advanced” option.
- You must confirm that the user group owns the folder. If not, you must gain ownership of the Intuit folder by following the procedures below:
- On the advanced security settings page, click Change next to the owner’s name
- Enter User as the selected object’s name, then click Check Names.
- Next, press OK
- Now, tick the “Replace owner on sub containers and objects,” box.
- Then press the Apply and OK buttons.
- Now that you’re back on the Intuit Properties page, select Edit.
- Select the User group and check the box next to Full Control.
- Now, press the Apply and OK buttons.
Why choose QuickBooks Support to resolve your Issue?
Choosing QuickBooks Support as your QuickBooks problem-solving partner provides several benefits not just to the human resources department but also to the entire organization. We provide our clients 24-hour customer support and promise that the problem will not return.
Using the above techniques will help you get rid of QuickBooks payroll error 15240 to a significant extent. If you continue to have problems, please contact QuickBooks Payroll support at 1-888-585-4356, and we will be delighted to assist you with all of your questions.