QuickBooks error 12031 is a frightening error code from the -12000 error code series, indicating that a user is having issues upgrading QuickBooks software or using the Payroll service. The problem is mostly caused by a variety of connectivity issues that prevent QuickBooks from talking with Intuit’s server. It’s possible that your firewall is preventing the app from running for security reasons. This article provides a comprehensive guide to troubleshooting QuickBooks problem 12031, including all possible causes.
If you need assistance with QuickBooks, call the QuickBooks error support number for immediate assistance and experts will be happy to guide you, so that you can get rid of the error quickly.
What Causes QuickBooks Error 12031?
Because of numerous connectivity challenges, QuickBooks error code 12031 occurs on the screen. QuickBooks must contact with the Intuit server in order to receive an update. If it fails to connect to the server for any reason, you will see error code 12031 on your screen, which will terminate the update process. The following are some of the most common causes of the issue when updating QuickBooks software or using the QB Payroll service:
- One of the most typical causes of the error: 12031 is an issue with internet connections, which may be quickly resolved.
- The software update can potentially be hampered by a lost Internet packet or a network timeout.
- QuickBooks may be flagged as a security threat by your firewall, preventing it from talking with the server.
- Another probable cause of the update issue is invalid SSL settings.
- If you don’t use Internet Explorer as your preferred browser, you risk getting the QuickBooks Payroll update problem 12031.
How Do I Fix QuickBooks Update Error 12031?
To resolve QuickBooks connectivity issue 12031, you must first troubleshoot the error’s possible causes one by one. The strategies listed below can assist you in directing your efforts in the proper direction. Let’s get started:
Solution 1: Make sure you’re connected to the internet.
You can indicate how you want to connect to the Internet using this approach. Take the following steps:
- Select Internet Connection Setup from QuickBooks’ Help menu.
- Tick the radio button for “Use my computer’s Internet connection settings option” in the new Window.
- Hit To complete the operation, click Next and then Done.
- Try updating QuickBooks again to see whether the error 12031 has been resolved.
Solution 2: Fixing an Error While Updating QuickBooks Payroll Service
If you receive QuickBooks error 12031 while updating QuickBooks payroll service, you must follow the instructions outlined below:
- Choose Internet Properties from Internet Connection Setup.
- To continue, select the Advanced tab.
- After you’ve double-checked that the advanced options are correct, click Apply.
- To finish and close the window, press OK.
After that, restart QuickBooks and go through the update process for the QuickBooks Payroll service again. If the technique doesn’t work, move on to the following steps to fix Intuit QB problem code 12031.
Solution 3: QuickBooks should be exempt from firewall blocking.
If the Firewall is preventing QuickBooks from communicating with the server, the Firewall permissions for QuickBooks must be changed. To do so, go to the Firewall’s blocked software list and unblock QuickBooks. The steps outlined below can assist you:
- On your desktop, click the Start button, and then type Firewall in the blank space.
- On the locating tab, select Windows Firewall and proceed.
- Allow a program or feature to pass through Windows Firewall now (or, Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall for Windows 10)
- Click Change Settings on the following screen, after this check the box for QuickBooks to allow it through the Windows Firewall.
If the QuickBooks Desktop update error 12031 still exists, proceed to the next step.
Solution 4: Reconfiguring QuickBooks’ Internet Explorer Settings
- On your workstation, open Windows Explorer.
- To access Internet Options, go to the Tools menu and select Internet Options.
- Choose the Security tab, and then the Globe symbol.
- After that, choose Content.
- If the content advisor offers it, disable it. To disable it, you must input the password.
- To get started, go to the Connections tab and follow the instructions below:
- Choose Never Dial a Connection if you’re not using the dial-up node (DUN).
- Click OK after double-checking that the correct ISP is selected.
- Select LAN settings and uncheck the box that says “Automatically detect settings.”
- Click OK on the LAN settings screen.
Go to the Advanced tab and follow these instructions:
- Choose Reset Advanced Settings from the drop-down menu.
- Find the options for Use TLS 1.0, Use TLS 1.1, and Use TLS 1.2.
- Uncheck the boxes for Use TLS 1.1 and Use TLS 1.2.
- Close Internet Explorer by clicking OK.
- Restart the computer.
Solution 5: Run Windows Update in Safe Mode
- When third-party apps begin to interfere with the QuickBooks update process, you must download QuickBooks in safe mode to avoid unwanted interventions.
- First and foremost, start your computer in Safe Mode.
- Attempt to obtain a QuickBooks update.
- If you are able to download the update, restart your computer in normal mode and download the QB update once more.
Dial our QuickBooks Customer support number for a helpful hand that can aid you with each stage of the debugging and answer your questions about a technical challenge. Our Pro-technicians can help you troubleshoot QuickBooks error 12031 with the most appropriate solution. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or problems. Visit www.quickbooksupport.net for assistance to your QuickBooks questions.